Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Marvel of Modern Technology

I have long said that we would not truly be in the Information Age until we no longer printed to hard copy before something we received digitally was usable to us. Basically, we have arrived and I still print things, and am truly at times amazed at the marvelous things these Printer/Scanner/Fax machines can do. I mean, who thought faxes would even hang on this long, they are like the 8 track tape players in a sea of CDs.

But today I was emailed some UPS shipping labels to print out and put on some boxes to be picked up in a few days and I was again amazed at the intricate detail that this printer can produce on a piece of paper passing under this whirring box with some cartridges attached to it.

Seriously, when I looked at the printout, I was again amazed at a technology that I have taken altogether too much for granted. Still more amazing is the fact that there is a gun that can read that UPC code and get so much information that has already been duplicated and stored at another location so that the data can be compared and tracked at the right points, without having to write anything down.

So here again, Wow, after all these years, a little contemplation of modern technology still leaves me amazed and awed.

No comments: